Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Something I Love: Special Edition

Toffee was my childhood dog. Since I was nine, she's been all of the things a dog should be: energetic, entertaining, loyal, a constant companion, and of course, a best friend. She's been a good dog, sitting at my feet for thirteen years.
At our old house, Toffee would scratch at my basement room window, waking me up at 7 o'clock every morning. After I got out of bed, I opened the window; Toffee treated me like a puppy, cleaning the sleepy bugs out of my eyes.
She got stuck on our swing set when she was a puppy. My mom looked out the window and saw Toffee hanging over a swing, front legs preventing her from sliding off.
The day after we moved to Hyde Park, Toffee attacked our neighbors' rabbit cage. She stuck her nose between the chicken wire at the bottom of the cage and grabbed at the rabbit's legs. I never knew the rabbit's original name because it was called Tripod after that.
Toffee had quirks, most notably her legendary habit of rock-diving. In the canal next to our house, she dove underwater and retrieved rocks the neighborhood kids threw in for her.
There are plenty more doggie-anectdotes about Toffee, but my main point is that I really love my dog; she's been such a good friend.

I'm really going to miss her sleeping at my feet while I'm sitting at the computer.

1 comment:

amy b. said...

Heart breaking. I miss my Toffee.