Friday, June 8, 2007

Stuff I Like: 90s Nostalgia Edition

1. Clarissa Explains It All : Basically, Clarissa inspired me to become the person I am today. Seriously. She was a writer; I am a writer. She had crazy-awesome style; I strive to emulate her crazy-awesome style. She liked They Might Be Giants and I have a little birdhouse in my soul. The only thing problem is I live in a basement, so my BFF Sam can't climb a ladder to get to the window in my room. Dang it.
2. Clueless : I love this movie. Here's some quotes from it:
"Searching for a boy in high school is as useless as searching for meaning in a Pauly Shore movie."
"I totally paused."
"She's a full-on Monet . . . it's like a painting, see? From far away, it's okay, but up close it's a big old mess!"
"He does dress better than I do. What would I bring to the relationship?"
3. Paula Abdul Forever Your Girl : My best friend and I choreographed dances to every song on this album. I don't remember them now.
4. Boy Meets World : Hmm, a television show about a boy growing from adolescence to adulthood, starring a charming child actor with the last name Savage? So, maybe this version was a bit of a copy, but it didn't stop me from cheering for Corey and Topanga or crushing on Eric and Shawn (and later, Jack, Shawn's half-brother played by the middle Lawrence brother). Plus, it was shown on T.G.I.F., which is a cornerstone of my childhood experience : Dinosaurs, Boy Meets World, Step by Step, and Hangin' With Mr. Cooper. And if I was lucky, I would get to watch half an hour of 20/20 before going to bed, which was thrilling for some reason.
5. The Wonder Years : The original Savage-starring coming-of-age series, awesome in a much different way than it's little brother. It's being shown on this weird, forsaken satellite channel that plays commercials for, um, enhancement medications and goes off the air at 9:00. Whatever, the show is amazing in a million ways and watching it now reminds me of watching it with my parents when I was younger. Aw.

No comments: